3 weeks after getting my hand bashed by the pvc shaft of a foam sword and the bruises have finally faded. It's still a little sore in spots, but that's getting better too. I decided that I needed to make the gloves I wanted a priority. So I sat down with the pattern I intended to modify and got to work.
I knew I wanted a good cushy fabric across the back of my hand, and room to slip a layer or two of foam in there. Currently my biggest concern was right across my knuckles as that's where I seem to catch most of the hits when I go to block. I also wanted the palms free so I could easily grip my sword. I've had it go flying out of my hand at least once and I'd rather minimize that. It's just silly to have to take a death because you're staring in disbelief at your now empty hand.
Because this is a modification of an existing pattern, I was sure to share which pattern I was modifying when I wrote it up. Thus, it's also a free pattern. They knit up fairly quick so are good for a quick satisfaction project.
Pattern Fairy Defense y Shadow Byrd
Project Page: Ravelry